Motorcycle Roads, Rides, Maps and More |

The US 50 Highway, Six State Motorcycle Trip

It's 5:00AM when I awaken in my room. Usually, mornings aren't what I would call an "energetic" event for myself - but this particular morning, I jump out of bed and start moving quickly around the room to the moans of disapproval from my sleeping wife.

I didn't have a particularly restful night of sleep. It was one of those nights where you lay in bed and can only think about what's to come in the next few days.

What laid ahead was a motorcycle trip with my wife leaving from Ohio, traveling solely on US 50 the so-called "Loneliest Highway in America," until we got to Colorado where we would improvise our route from there.

We had 9 days in total to make the trip, so I was excited about the prospect of not just barreling down a lifeless , McDonald laden interstate just to get to a particular point in a certain amount of time. Instead, we get to barrel down a historic highway with interesting stuff to see along the way!

To be truthful, I get excited about any kind of motorcycle trip. But, I get particularly excited about long motorcycle trips and this one was going to be 9 whole days long. The past two weeks had been a flurry of planning, packing, motorcycle checkups, and anticipation. How could you not be excited the morning you were going to point your motorcycle down a road and leave?

For those of you not familiar with US 50, the designation of the "Loneliest Highway in America" really only applies to the section that travels through Nevada - one day I'll actually get to this part.

The rest of US 50 is far from lonely. In fact, for the most part, it is quite populated with lots to see and do. US 50 is notably one of the last remaining transcontinental highways in the United States, traveling coast to coast from California to Maryland. A great road for a motorcycle trip!

Each page has quite a few pictures from that particular day, including pictures of the road, to give you a sense of the route visually. I hope you enjoy the rest of this trip article and all of its pictures!

vn750chopper says:

great read , ive had the rt.50 trip on my mind for years, time, money, life been kinda in the way. havent done a trip this long ever, but hoping to get around to it by next summer. i thoroughly enjoyed the pics and story, thanks for sharing!
Mon Aug 11, 2014 at 7:36 AM

NC_En4cer says:

Great ride brutha. I rode for 2 weeks with some friends from NC to out West, Colorado, Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, S Dakota and circling back around to NC. It was a great ride. Loved your story and pics. Thanks for sharing. Dave
Sat Aug 27, 2011 at 12:02 AM

Track65 says:

I took a nine day trip from East Tennessee to Vermont in September. Trip was great,we had only two days with any rain (first and last). Vermont has some great areas to see and to ride.
I am planning on a Highway 50 ride next summer. Your log and pictures have given me some great ideas.
Other than the gravel, it sounds like most of the road surfaces were in good shape.

Sat Oct 17, 2009 at 11:00 AM

buckykatt says:

i'm planning a coast to coast trip on hwy 50 on my restored/modified honda 750 four in spring of 2010. was going to do it this year but the restore ran longer than expected and i still want to get the bugs out.
Tue Jul 28, 2009 at 12:04 AM

amtrak says:

Totally enjoyed it, better than a RT.66 trip.Would like to do the RT.50 from beginning to end one day.......

Fri Sep 26, 2008 at 6:36 PM

redimix says:

Poker Alice in Lake City opened the 2008 season with new owners. Best to pass it by until matters get sorted out.

Plan your trip to ride 149 during daylight hours. Ride at night and you will miss some of the best Colorado has to offer.
Tue Jul 15, 2008 at 7:32 PM

hawgbodys says:

Oh were so close. My favorite road in the whole just west of there. It's hwy 92 through the Black Canyon. just west of Gunnison is Blue Mesa Resevior and at the Dam,(which is a sight in itself)is hyw 92 it goes to Crawford,where Joe Cocker has his "Mad Dog Restaraunt" bikers riding in get a free bandana. All his gold and platinum awards are hanging on the wall. He lives on a ranch not far from there.anyway it is a beautiful ride you can ride the whole Canyon or cut back to Delta to get back on hwy 50.I have traveled thousands of miles on my harley all through the states and Canada many times and anytime I am anywhere near colorado, I will go out of my way to ride this stretch of road,sometimes twice in one trip,especially in the fall. Oh well... I guess you will just have to take another road trip. RIDE SAFE...Scott
Wed Sep 26, 2007 at 10:39 AM

OpenRoadRider says:

Hi Chachi - we packed pretty light - you're forced to when riding two-up for over a week. Bare essentials only plus a laundry stop. No problems whatsoever with the wind in Colorado - riding was smooth and easy. It was a little gusty in Kansas, but still not bad if you are expecting it.
Mon Aug 27, 2007 at 9:52 AM

Chachi says:

How light did you pack ??? Any problems with wind in Colorado ??
Fri Aug 3, 2007 at 11:33 AM

finkamatombo says:

Great story! I grew up in Colorado unitl I joined the Navy which brought me out to Maryland. I think I might be riding US 50 back to Colorado to see the folks because of your story. Thanks!
Sun Jun 17, 2007 at 10:45 AM

hotshoetom says:

Great story and thanks for the advice about raingear...I have been planning a multi-day trip from Lynchburg, VA down the length of the Blue Ridge Parkway to the end of the parkway in North Carolina. Its about 500 miles of twisties, mountain passes and so on. The one thing I hadnt really though very hard about was raingear and I realized after reading your story I had best get something better than I have for this trip. While I am down there, I'll be riding the Dragon's tail. I plan to take some notes and photos and write something to post here when I get back.
If you have any other advice for a first-time multi-day traveler, I am all ears.

Sat May 5, 2007 at 5:58 AM

biskitdg says:

Great pictures! You need a map of the trip.
Thu Jan 11, 2007 at 8:52 PM

Have something to say? Sign In to Leave a Comment
find more great motorcycle roads...

The best of the best. These folks have ridden and shared more roads than any other ORJ member this month.

1. 260.66 miles by Roadworthy