One of Texas most scenic drives, officially R.M. 32, the 'Devil'sBackbone' is a winding, razor-backed ridge overlooking Hill Countryvistas. Extends from R.R. 12 just south of Wimberley, west some 24miles to near Blanco.
Cypress Creek in Wimberley, Texas
Wimberley is a rural town located among the giant cypress trees along Cypress Creek and the Blanco River. The natural beauty of Wimberley has attracted many artists to live and work in the area and their work is evident throughout the town in numerous galleries. Wimberley is located only about 45 minutes southwest of Austin and 60 minutes northeast of San Antonio. Wimberley has become a popular weekend getaway for the tourists.
The Texas Hill Country is famous for its beautiful live oak trees, the hills, the winding roads and the beautiful scenery.
Many nature activities are available around Wimberley. You can go horseback riding, canoeing, rafting, hiking, birdwatching, or take a guided nature tour. Enjoy the clear blue water of the Blanco River and Canyon Lake is only a short distance away for boating and fishing. The Woodcreek Country Club has a challenging 18 hole golf course.
Local festivals offering live music as well as the local art shows are all popular with the tourists.
Many of the old structures associated with Wimberley's history still exist or are fondly remembered:
Winters - Wimberley House- Thefirst owner of the Wimberley mill, William C. Winters, built thislimestone dwelling in c. 1856. A veteran of the Battle of San Jacinto,he was awarded a land grant for his service in the war. After his deathin 1864, his daughter Nancy and son-in-law John Cude inherited themill. In 1874 Pleasant Wimberley paid $8,000 in gold to John Cude for200 acres, the mill and house.
John Henry Saunders Store - In1888 Saunders purchased the frame store on this site from J.P. Laney .He built the present building in 1890 from stone quarried on the BlancoRiver. The date of 1890 and the initials 'JHS'
appear on the left side of the building above the porch roof. The storealso housed the post office until the 1930s. The building burned in1939, but the stone walls remained intact.
John Henry Saunders Homestead - Thisframe house reflects the Greek Revival style used in Texas in the 1870sand is constructed of native Cypress and black walnut. John Henry, hiswife Callie and their 13 children lived here until 1903. Saundersserved the village as teacher, postmaster, merchant, county schoolsuperintendent and commissioner. Allen D'Spain and his family lateroccupied the house. This is the oldest structure on the Wimberley'square'.
D'Spain Building - AllenD'Spain operated a general merchandise business in the Saunders storeon the square. The long era of economic development in Wimberley can becredited to D'Spain who inspired investment in Wimberley. Built in the1920s, this rock structure has received numerous alterations which thecareful observer can discern through a study of all four sides of thebuilding.
John R. Dobie House - Builtabout 1892, this side-gable, center-passage, box frame dwelling wasfirst built as a two pen dog run. Resting on cypress beams the house issheathed with pine boards and battens and roofed with cedar shingles.Built by San Marcos mayor, Charles S. Cock, other notable occupantsincluded County Sheriff James Wren, Dr. W.J. Pyland, John R. Dobie, andhis son James F. Dobie and wife Daisy. The house was designated aRecorded Texas Historic Landmark in 1990 and was listed in the NationalRegister of Historic Places in 1992.
Wimberley Mill - TheWimberley Mill was the economic heart of the village. Built in 1856 byWilliam Winters, the mill passed to his son-in-law John Cude in 1864and then, in 1874, to Pleasant Wimberley. The successive names of thevillage are evidence of the importance of the mill: Winters' Mill,Cude's Mill, Wimberley's Mill and ultimately, Wimberley. As a gristmill, saw mill and cotton gin, it provided flour, sorghum, cotton,shingles and lumber for the area. John Will Pyland, the husband ofPleasant's grand-daughter, became the last millwright in 1907. The millceased operation in 1925 and was demolished in the 1930s. Ozona Banknow occupies this site.
James C. Lane House - JamesC. Lane (1902-1976), an avid rock collector, designed and built thisbungalow in 1934. One of the front rooms became the first telephoneswitchboard in Wimberley. Typical depression era features include the'crazy work' rock patterns, petrified wood around windows and doors,smooth rocks cut by hand saw in the front arches, and quartz andstalactite in the chimney.
Pyland Blacksmith Shop - Builtin 1895 by Sidney Jordan Pyland (1875-1953) the blacksmith shopprovided the hub of business activity on the square. In 1897, Pylandmarried Nellie Ann Wimberley, daughter of mill owner Zachary Wimberley.In 1910, Sidney Pyland moved the entire blacksmith shop to San Marcos.The site of the Pyland Blacksmith Shop is now occupied by the WimberleyCafe and several locally owned retail shops.
In addition to these sites, no History buff should visit Wimberleywithout a walk through the Wimberley Cemetery. Located at theintersection of FM3237 and Old Kyle Road, next to the First BaptistChurch, the cemetery contains the gravesites of many of the earlyWimberley pioneers dating back to 1876, including many veterans of theCivil War.
Blanco was settled in 1853 by pioneer stockmen, former Texas Rangers, immigrants and their families. Visit any of the shops, galleries or restaurants and you will see why Blanco is known as 'Having the Warmest Welcome in the Texas Hill Country'. The Blanco State Park is just minutes away.
The Old Blanco Courthouse - Built during 1885-1886 and designed by well-known Austin architect Frederick Ernst Ruffini. In 1890 the county seat was moved to Johnson City, and the new courthouse was only used four years by the county.
According to the survey report for the National Register of Historic Places, 'Overall the courthouse is one of the finest examples of courthouse architecture from the late 19th century in Texas.'
The courthouse has been used as a school, a bank, an office building housing lawyers, doctors, dentists, an opera house, and a hospital in 1936.
The old Blanco County Courthouse is now open as a visitor center, gift shop and community center. It is located on the town square in Blanco at the intersection of Highway 281 and Highway 165.
These days Luckenbach Texas is, to paraphraseJohn Steinbeck, 'a state of mind ' A Texas state of mind, where you cankick back, relax and get away from the hustle and bustle of everydaylifeÃ¢â‚¬â€like a step back in time. This tiny hill country hamlet where 'EverybodyÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s Somebody' was established as a Trading Post in 1849 makingit one of the oldest settlements in Gillespie County.
Fredericksburg, Texas is a picturesque setting near the Enchanted RockState Park. Led by John O. Meusebach, Fredericksburg, Texas was settledin 1846 by German immigrant families. The National Historic District iscomprised of several older buildings which retain the traditionalstyles of Germany.
Fredericksburg is one of the most popular tourist towns in the state of Texas. Fredericksburg has over 100 unusual shops featuring arts and crafts, antiques, gifts, clothing, jewelry, novelties, and more. You will find plenty of shopping in Fredericksburg, Texas. The main street of Fredericksburg is full of quaint shops and the side streets of Fredericksburg offer more of the interesting tourist shopping.
The tourists love shopping
on Main Street of Fredericksburg.Pick up some Fredericksburg fudge,
stop at the German Bakery, look at the
hand-made candles, try a Dulcimer, buy
an antique or a gift for a friend back home.
Have lunch in a German Restaurant.
This is a motorcycle ride in the state of Texas. This motorcycle route has 4 scenery characteristics and other road conditions to help you plan your road trip. This motorcycle map was created by GroundPounder in April. Click here to see other Motorcycle Roads by GroundPounder